Who We Are
Mended Hearts was founded by four people recovering from heart surgery in Boston, Massachusetts in 1951. It subsequently was incorporated on October 19, 1955 as a not-for-profit, educational and charitable organization under the name, The Mended Hearts, Inc., with its headquarters in Albany, GA. Today, there are over 38,000 members and more than 280 chapters throughout the United States and Canada.
Northern Virginia Chapter 200 was organized in 1988 by volunteers dedicated to serving heart patients and their families. In 2013, Chapter 200 was recognized by the Mended Hearts headquarters for 25 years of outstanding service. The Chapter has over 160 members including current and former heart patients, their families, relatives, medical professionals and other interested parties.
Along with Virginia's 13 Chapters, Northern Virginia Chapter 200 was commended on January 25, 2001 through House Joint Resolution No. 720, “for its invaluable efforts on behalf of heart disease patients and their families throughout the Commonwealth and across the nation.”
We conduct year-round patient visiting programs at INOVA Heart and Vascular Institute (Fairfax), Virginia Hospital Center (Arlington), and the DC Veterans Administration Hospital.